If you are flying with a baby on American Airlines, then here is all the information you need to know about the airline – in one convenient place. This guide covers airplane bassinets, baggage allowances, baby food, car seats, child restraint devices, strollers, toys, entertainment and more. For non airline specific flying with a baby tips see here.
What is the American Airlines Infant Policy?
Table of Contents - Click to jump to a section
Babies are welcome on American Airlines, however they must meet certain requirements in terms of age. For specific information on baggage allowance, requesting a bassinet, their stroller policy and more – please read below.
What age can an infant fly on American Airlines?
Infants must be two days old. However, if you’re traveling with an infant less than 7 days old, your physician will be required to fill out a passenger medical form before your flight. (A special assistance coordinator will send the form directly to your physician.) Infants must be accompanied by a person 16 years or older or by the infant’s parent (any age) in the same cabin.
What is the American Airlines infant baggage allowance?
Only 1 carry-on diaper bag per child is allowed. Additionally, a stroller and car seat can also be brought as hold baggage.
What is American Airlines stroller policy?
You can bring a stroller additionally to your baggage allowance.
Can I bring a stroller on American Airlines?
Yes you can, free of charge.
Does American Airlines charge for strollers?
No. For more information on American Airlines stroller policy see here.
For airports and airlines which provide complimentary strollers see here
Can I use a car seat on American Airlines?
The car seat must have a solid back and seat, restraint straps installed to securely hold the child and a label indicating approval for use on an aircraft.
The label may include notes similar to below.
- “This child restraint system conforms to all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards” and “this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircrafts” or “this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft.”
- Approval of a foreign government or a label showing that the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations.
On some aircraft, car seats or safety seats may not be permitted in First or Business class due to the seat angle.
Can I use a CARES harness as a Child Restraint Device?
Yes you can, however it may not be suitable for business or first class on some aircraft types due to the seat angle.
Please read this detailed post on child restraint devices (CRDs)
How do I book an American Airlines bassinet seat?
Airline bassinets are by request only. This is the case with every airline. However, USA airlines only offer the bassinets at the gate on a first come, first served basis – so check in early!
- Bassinets are available on a first come, first serve basis at the gate for travel only on 777-200, 767-300, 777-300 and 787 aircraft.
- Bassinets are not available in First/business Class cabins.
What is the American Airlines bassinet size/ weight limit?
Infants using bassinets must be younger than 2 years old and weigh no more than 20lbs (9kg) To compare bassinet restrictions and requirements on other airlines see here.
What does an American Airlines bassinet look like?
photo coming soon
American Airlines child meal
Like most long haul airlines, American Airways provides child meals to kids over the age of two for certain flights. These must be pre-requested at least 24 hours in advance. You can order on aa.com or call reservations.
American Airlines infant food
American Airlines provides a baby meal for infants. This is pureed food in jars. This needs to pre requested at least 24 hours before your flight.
If you have a weaned child under two, travelling as a lap baby, you will need to bring food for them unless they enjoy pureed food. This is the case of all airlines baby meals. For more information on airline baby food see here.
Does American Airlines provide toys for kids on the flight?
No, they don’t. For some great entertainment and travel toys ideas see here.
Do American Airlines allow families to board first?
Families with children under 2 years old can ask to board early at the gate.
Do car seats count as checked baggage American Airlines?
No – car seats can be brought as an addition to your normal baggage allowance if your infant is traveling with you.
Do babies fly free on American Airlines?
On domestic flights if an infant travels as a lap baby then they travel for free. On international flights the applicable fare and taxes apply.
Do I need a safety restraint for an American Airlines lap child?
No – USA follows FAA rules which do not allow the use of an infant lap belt. More details can be found on child restraint devices here.
Do American Airlines require ID for minors?
If you are flying domestically: You may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) for any children under the age of 18.
Traveling internationally? Children or infants traveling outside the U.S. are required to have the same documentation as an adult. If anyone under 18 is traveling internationally without both parents, they may be required to present a Letter of Consent.
- Have you remembered any items you need to help your baby or toddler sleep on the plane?
- Would you like a free printable (no sign up) packing checklist? If so see here.
- Find out which airlines/airports provide courtesy airport strollers here.
- Have you read the tried and tested flying with a baby tips here?
If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby
1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)
2. Join our Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.
3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions.
3. Share this post with your friends.
4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :
Thank you for your support as always.