I’ve gone through a few travel bags, baby changing/diaper bags and carry on bags at various stages of flying with a baby, flying with a toddler and now flying with a 3 year old and 6 year old.
Here is my round up up of the best travel bags for Mums; including the best carry on bag for moms for the various stages of travelling or flying with kids.
Moms have a lot to think about every day, let alone when that day involves traveling. Between coordinating carpools and trying to keep everyone’s schedule straight, the last thing any mom wants to worry about is what to pack in her (and everyone else’s) suitcase.
However, with a little bit of careful planning, packing for a family trip can be a breeze. To help take some of the guesswork and stress out of packing for your next vacation, at Flying with a Baby, we’ve put together a list of nine of the best bags for moms who travel frequently.
AD/Affiliate link. This article may contain affiliate links. Please read more in our disclosure policy here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Moms Need to Consider When Picking a Travel Bag
Every mom should consider a few key factors when choosing a travel bag. First and foremost, it’s important to pick a bag that is large enough to fit everything you need but not so large that it becomes cumbersome to carry.
Look for travel bags with multiple compartments and pockets: this will help you to stay organized and easily find what you need when you need it. However, too many can actually be a hindrance as then you forget which pocket you have put stuff in!
Wheels can also be a preferred feature, particularly when traveling with young kids if you have heavy items or need more storage. Backpacks are better to keep your hands free.
Lastly, just because a mom depends on convenience doesn’t mean style should be left out of the equation. If you’re someone who likes to be fashion-forward, even when you’re on vacation, look for a bag that is both stylish and practical.
Best Baby Changing Bag/Diaper Bag for Travel
The best diaper bags for travel are ones that are:
- Easy to Clean – The amount of times diaper cream, bottle leaks, crumbled snacks and that special stick or leaf that gets put into your bag, you need it to be easy to clean.
- Have Insulated compartments
- Easy to carry and comfortable too.
Our favourite baby diaper bag is the: Hap Tim Diaper Backpack – with ample storage, ability to attach to a stroller or luggage, and insulated pockets, side opening for wipes, it’s a winner.
Best Travel Bag for moms with Toddlers
When looking for the best travel bag when you have toddlers – you are likely going to be moving fast when chasing after them and constantly moving them in and out of strollers.
A backpack generally makes more sense for this stage, but one that easily clip to your strollers for easy access. You many not need quite as much stuff as you did when you needed a baby diaper bag but remember items you will need, will be larger. Larger diapers, change of clothes, bottles, toys etc.
If you prefer a more classic purse or bag style then other options include messenger bags, tote bags, and convertible bags. A convertible handbag is a bag that can be easily change from one style of bag to another – giving you multiple options depending on its use at the time. In my experience, totes are not ideal for toddler as they do tend to come off your shoulder unless you have an option for a cross body strap.
Below, we’ll compare and contrast eight of our very favorite bags for moms in terms of their price, materials, and features. From diaper bags to traditional backpacks and totes we share the most useful ones below:
|Hap Tim Diaper Backpack||$$||side pocket opening for easy access to tissues and wipes||1.9 lbs /17.32 x 7.87 x 12.99 inches|
|Osprey Daylight bag||$$||Fits 15” laptop or tablet. Dual water bottle side mesh pockets with |
front pocket with organization and key clip.
|1.3lbs/ 11.02 x 18.9 x 9.45 inches|
|JuJube Convertible Bag||$$$||Backpack, messenger bag, with a grab handle, insulated pockets, strollers straps and a crumb drain!||/14″ W x 12″ H x 6.5″ D|
|RUVALINO Multifunction Travel Backpack||$$||Waterproof diaper bag with organizational pockets, laptop sleeve, and insulated bottle pockets||1.78lb/ Outer and Lining are 100% water-resistant polyester.|
|Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 5 18″ Lightweight Carry-on Under Seat Tote||$$$||This tote-style bag comes with a convenient shoulder and rear strap for carrying or stacking and a water-repellant dura guard coating||1.6 pounds/ 100% Polyester|
|Jiefeike Diaper Bag Backpack||$$||A convenient backpack-style bag, this product can replace your current diaper bag. Waterproof pockets and included USB charging ports add convenience when traveling.||2.16 pounds/ Waterproof fabric|
|Pipi Bear Diaper Bag Backpack||$$||A mini-style backpack diaper bag perfect for days out. This bag features 15 pockets for organization and a reinforced, waterproof bottom.||1.54 pounds/ High-quality jacquard fabric|
|Qualyphant Diaper Bag Backpack||$$||This spacious diaper bag backpack is perfect for moms with multiple children. It features 23 pockets and includes a changing pad and wide, padded straps.||2.73 pounds/ Waterproof oxford fabric and nylon lining|
|Mia Tui Jennie Tote||$$||Stylish and doesn’t look like a ‘mom bag’. Pockets that come with their own accessory bags, clips for your keys, insulated bottle holders, and phone & pen pockets. Pockets are big enough for iPad, Kindles and Tablets. Comes with a cross body strap.||W40cm, D15cm, H28cm|
Each of these bags offers something unique for mothers. When choosing a travel bag, you want to consider what will work best for you and your family’s needs. Let’s look at each option in depth to help you find the perfect bag for your next vacation.
Best Travel Bags For Moms
Best Travel Bags For Moms
Hap Tim Diaper Bags are durable and built to last. The easy accessible compartments are useful to keep everything organized and the backpack is easy to clean and carry.
Baby bottles can be kept warm or cold in the insulated pockets (Fit Philips Avent/Dr. Brown’s bottle 9oz ). There is even a side pocket opening for easy access to tissues and wipes! The top is roomy and has plenty of space for diapers, wipes, a change of clothes and snacks along with couple of toys.
The front pocket is insulated with pockets for three or four bottles or cups and extra room for small snacks or bibs. The two open side pockets can hold large water bottles or compact umbrellas. The separator for the main compartment is striped and attached with velcro to create two compartments.
This diaper bag can use as backpack, handbag and can also can hang on a stroller.Features/Measurements
- side pocket opening for easy access to tissues and wipes!
- 17.32 x 7.87 x 12.99 inches
- 2 stroller straps
- waterproof liner
- wipes pocket
- Hard to find any! This one consistently scores great reviews
The Osprey Daylight Plus has a padded laptop/tablet sleeve, additional storage space and organization options just like the smaller Daylight bag. It’s not waterproof but is water resistant. For flights, it fits under the seat in front of you and in any bin on most any carrier. It’s an ideal carry on fitting in spare clothes for kids, snacks and water bottles as well as a laptop and more.Features/Measurements
- Water resistant
- 11.02 x 18.9 x 9.45 inches
- Weight: 1.29lb
- Plenty of storage and organization options.
- Carry on size
- Comfortable padded straps and 20l capacity
- With so many options for organization and carrying capacity, this bag may easily become heavy
- No insulated pockets
Wear it as a backpack or a messenger bag, with a grab handle or shoulder bag. This convertible baby bag has a of options and a lot of features including; insulated pockets, strollers straps and a crumb drain! Yes, a crumb drain (small holes in corners of bag) to reduce all the bits that clog up the bottom of your bag.
This travel bag also comes with Memory Foam Changing Pad.Features/Measurements
- Water resistant
- 14″ W x 12″ H x 6.5″ D
- Weight: 2.64 pounds
- Plenty of storage and organization options.
- Machine washable
- A unique crumb drain
- Can wear in several different ways
- Wear and tear can show after a year or so of use.
This enjoyable and stylish backpack diaper bag contains a spacious main compartment with two zippered closures and 16 pockets. It’s the perfect size to hold all of your baby’s essentials while still looking perfectly organized and compact. The insulated bottle pockets can accommodate most wide-neck or tall baby bottles, from 5 oz to 11oz.
This diaper backpack is designed for convenience, with an extra wide opening for easy access to essentials and dual zippers for easy closure even with one hand. The Easy-grab handle and ergonomic back design make it comfortable to carry, and the thick padded shoulder straps offer force reinforcement. There are 7 colors to choose from too!Features/Measurements
- Waterproof & equipped with a stroller strap
- 11.8l x 7.8w x 16.5h inches
- Weight: 1.78lb
- The newly designed diaper bag has plenty of space and organizational pockets, including a padded laptop pocket, mesh organizers, and more.
- The insulated pockets help to keep baby bottles at the right temperature, while the mommy pocket is perfect for keeping your keys and wallet close by.
- Diapers are easy to grab out of the convenient mesh organizer.
- For mothers without small children, this bag may come with features that won’t be used.
- With so many options for organization and carrying capacity, this bag may easily become heavy
This ultra-lightweight, compact carry-on tote is made from 100% polyester and features a stain-resistant, water-repellant dura guard coating. The ergonomic, high-tensile strength zipper pulls provide lasting durability. It has not been designed specifically for parents but with its pockets and style, it is a useful alternative which you can still use beyond the baby and toddler years – whether you are traveling with children or not.
The rear strap allows secure stacking, and the top carry handle and padded shoulder strap offers carrying options. The front flap, roomy interior, and built-in pockets keep contents organized and accessible.Features/Measurements
- 11x18x8 inches, Weight: 1.6 pounds
- Volume is 61.73 pounds; Capacity: 28.0L
- Water-repellant dura guard coating
- With limited lifetime coverage and a trustworthy companion promise, you’re guaranteed that any repair costs from airline damage or other common carriers will be covered for one year.
- The tote style allows for a stylish replacement for your normal diaper bag.
- One of the more expansive options on the list.
- Though it features a shoulder strap, this style of bag could become cumbersome when on the go.
The Jiefeike Diaper Bag Backpack has insulated pockets that can hold two bottles and accessories, keeping them warm or cold for around 2-4 hours. It also features a compartment large enough for snacks, a pacifier, diapers, clothes, and more.
Additionally, there is a waterproof pocket for your child’s wet clothes, diapers, or soiled pants without dirtying the bag’s main compartment. The diaper organizer compartment could hold 4-5 diapers, which allows you to quickly grab a diaper when needed.Features/Measurements
- 15×11.5 x 8 inch
- Waterproof pocket
- Multiple front/side pockets for organization
- The stroller and luggage strap allow you to attach the baby diaper bag to a car seat or wheeled carry-on luggage.
- The USB charging port lets you charge phones or other electronic devices at any time, while the ergonomic shoulder pad protects your shoulder and keeps you comfortable.
- Slightly smaller than other options on the list, this bag may not be suitable for longer trips.
The Pipi Bear Diaper Bag Backpack is a mini-style diaper bag that is the perfect size for a day out with your baby – 15 separate pockets allow you to organize everything you need.
The bottom of this backpack diaper bag is reinforced with leather and rivets, and the seams have extra stitching for reinforcement (which makes it more durable than an ordinary diaper bag backpack). The main pocket has vintage dual zippers, and every zipper on this bag has been put through a pull-and-close test to ensure smoothness and durability. When you set your backpack down, the leather bottom prevents water seepage and makes cleaning easy.Features/Measurements
- 10.2″ x 14.9″ x 8.2″
- Waterproof bottom reinforced with leather
- Sturdy zipper pocket construction
- The wet and dry nappy pocket, insulated pockets, and mesh diaper organizer are enough to hold all of your baby gear.
- The Pipi Bear Diaper Bag Backpack is one of the least expensive options on our list.
- The convenient back opening design allows you to easily put into and take out baby care essentials from the cute diaper bag without fumbling through the entire bag.
- Thickened, breathable padded shoulder strap reduces the pressure on your shoulders while carrying it around.
- The Pipi Bear Diaper bag is one of the smaller bags on our list, suitable for days out or single-day trips rather than longer trips.
The Qualyphant Diaper Bag Backpack for Twins can be quickly and easily transformed from a size that accommodates one infant to a larger size that can hold plenty of baby travel accessories for two infants. Nylon and Oxford fabrics are used to ensure a long-lasting stroller diaper bag backpack that will serve your growing family for years. Quiet, smooth-gliding zippers with large pulls and reinforced sewing handles make our baby bag hassle-free.Features/Measurements
- 15.8”H x 9.8”L x 10.4”W
- 26L volume
- Made from waterproof oxford fabric and a nylon lining with reinforced stitching handles.
- High-quality zippers
- Include a waterproof changing pad and stroller clips.
- Expandable design with 30% additional capacity with space for up to 2 kids
- This bag has 23 pockets in total, 4 of which are designed specifically for holding baby bottles
- A 3 layer structure allows you to keep items separate and organized into handy/baby stuff/parent categories.
- Wide, padded straps and back cushions create a comfortable wearable experience.
- Because of the increased volume, this back has the potential to be heavier than the average backpack.
9. Best Tote Bags For Moms – Mia Tui Jennie bag
The Mia Tui Jennie travel bag was given to me to trial and provide honest feedback on. Hand on heart, I LOVE it and I know you will too. I used it first on a trip to Tuscany when I was travelling kiddie free. I opted for the Jennie rather than the identical looking but slightly smaller Mini Jen due to me anticipating I will need a good size bag to pile a lot of kids
rubbish important stones, twigs and shells.
However, for this trip I needed a travel bag which could fit my laptop in, chargers, power pack a bottle of water, a notepad, cardigan in and some travel documents. This all fitted in easily. As it would in many other bags – but the beauty of this travel tote bag and why I think it’s the best travel tote for women is because of it very neat storage system.
Never have I been so organised! A clear plastic bag to fit the 100ml max bottles in, an elastic tag to attach my keys too, a pen holder, compartments for my passport and insulated bottle holders.
Also included is a shoulder strap turning the Jennie into a great shoulder bag for travel. There is still more too! A small bag is included which can be used as clutch or a smaller shoulder bag should you need it.
Last but not least, the Jennie bag and Mini Jen have a pocket on the back that fits over the handle of your suitcase.
Inside the bag you have pockets that come with their own accessory bags, there are clips for your keys, insulated bottle holders, and phone & pen pockets. Pockets are big enough for iPad, Kindles and Tablets.
Since returning from Tuscany, I have used the bag daily because it does fit everything I need for the kids too. Having the option to use it as shoulder bag has proved very handy whilst walking the dog and occasionally having to carry my 3 year old.
The Mini Jen is almost exactly the same, but slightly smaller and with only 1 insulated pocket for bottles. Made in ultra soft faux-leather, with a bright water-proof interior it’s also a vegan travel bag. I love it and have taken it on every trip since for 5 years and it’s still going strong!
Jennie W40cm, D15cm, H28cm
Mini Jen W35cm, D14cm, H29cm
Best Back Pack For Hand Luggage?
I don’t think there is such a thing a bad back pack or rucksack for hand luggage, unless it’s made of poor quality materials. For me, it’s all about the organisation and comfort. For our family holiday to Orlando, and our family holiday to Krabi and Koh Jum, Thailand I used a back pack for ease. Knowing we were travelling around a bit meant keeping my hands free was a priority.
We bought an Osprey Celeste, which has so many compartments (many zipped), 2 bottles holders and various clips, which made it very organised. The padded straps made it comfortable to lug around and I found it very sturdy. ( I put SO much in it!). Its size fits within US and European airline limits for a personal carry-on item. However, this is no longer made, so an updated version is the Osprey Daylight bag which some even use as a diaper bag. With lots of pockets, it’s easy to fit the kids travel gear inside, as well as yours!
There you have it! The best travel bags for moms are based on our durability, organization, comfort, and style criteria. When it comes to finding what works as a mom, it really depends on what you’ll be using your bag for.
If you’re looking for something specific as a diaper bag, any of the above will make an excellent choice. If you’re looking for more of a general travel bag that can double as a diaper bag, the RUVALINO Multifunction Travel Backpack or the Travelpro Luggage Maxlite would be ideal.
Have you a travel bag for mums or a best travel bag for women recommendation? Please do let me know why it’s great for travel.
If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby
1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)
2. Join our Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.
3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions.
3. Share this post with your friends.
4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :
Thank you for your support as always.
Pin for later?
Thursday 9th of January 2020
What would be the best style of bag to bring as a carry on? Travelling solo with a baby from Canada to Australia and wondering what would be the best style of bag to bring and easily access everything we might need for entertaining/feeding/changing etc. My husband thinks the rolling, clamshell styler opening bag won’t be practical for getting at what I need. Thanks
Tuesday 28th of January 2020
I think a backpack if travelling solo, to help keep your arms free.