Skip to Content

Travel Documents For Children

Travel Documents For Children

Do children need ID to fly?

Travel documents and entry requirements do vary from country to country but most importantly, if you are flying internationally a passport is needed for everyone travelling, including baby. Some countries do have restrictions if you are pregnant – for example non-national pregnant women flying to Malaysia. Some countries require at least 6 months remaining on your passport, like UK to Europe. Always check what visas you need too!

What else do I need?

In some countries, like South Africa, even if you are travelling with both parents, you require the child’s full birth certificate, and further documentation if you are flying without one of the parents. It’s a good idea to take along a copy of your child’s birth certificate, and if travelling solo consider bringing  a letter from your partner acknowledging they are aware of you travelling. If neither parent or legal guardian is travelling with your children, then usually a form of written consent is a requirement from the parents.

Below are some countries regulations for travel documents. Do always check with your local government for any updated travel advice and country specific requirements before you book. Make sure you take clear passport photos too


Domestic travel -If children do not have their own passport, then the accompanying adult must write the full name of the child on the reverse of the adult’s boarding pass, so that the minor can be linked to the accompanying adult and their identification.

International – A valid passport is required for all ages.


Domestic travel -For travellers younger than 18, no passport is required. However, it is recommended that children carry an original birth certificate or non-government issued ID, e.g. a student card.

Travel to/from USA  All passengers, including minors (children under 18) are required to present a valid passport or other valid travel document such as a Nexus card when travelling by air between Canada and the United States.

International – A valid passport is required for all ages.

South Africa

Where parent/s are travelling with a child – the parent/s must produce an unabridged birth certificate for the child (certified copies are acceptable). And if both parents are not travelling, show consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent, or a court order, or (where applicable) a death certificate for a deceased parent.

– Where a person is travelling with a child who is not their biological child – he/she must produce an unabridged birth certificate for the child (certified copies are acceptable), affidavit from the child’s parents or legal guardian giving consent and copies of the identity documents or passport of the parents or legal guardian.

– Unaccompanied minors – must produce (i) consent for the child to travel into or depart from South Africa, in the form of a letter or affidavit from one or both parents or legal guardian (if only one parent then also a court order under which he/she has full parental responsibilities); (ii) a letter from the person who is to receive the child in South Africa, containing his or her residential address and contact details in South Africa where the child will be residing; (iii) a certified copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in South Africa; and (iv) the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child. For update information, as these regulations re due to be modified, please visit the South African Department of Home Affairs site.


Domestic flights -Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant’s/child’s identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult)

If the child is traveling unaccompanied and aged between 12-16 years, they will be required to produce photographic ID. For UK

When travelling with an infant on a domestic route, it’s a good idea to bring either a birth certificate or passport to prove date of birth.

International -A valid passport is required for all ages.


Domestic flights–  No ID or documentation needs to be shown for children under the age of 18 on a domestic flight, unless they are under 14 days old – (in which case a Doctors letter is required) OR if they are travelling as a lap child – ID may be asked for if the infants age is questionable. In this instance proof of age such as a passport, birth certificate (photo or digital copies are allowed) or an immunization record are permitted. If a child is travelling as an unaccompanied minor, the adult dropping and picking them up will need photo ID, but the child does not.

International – A valid passport is required for all ages.

 A useful link to check the up-to-date travel documents requirements is on the IATA page

Passport Photos for Children

For tips on how to take a baby passport photo see here.

If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby 

1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)

2. Join our  Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.

3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions. 

3. Share this post with your friends. 

4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :

Thank you for your support as always. 

3 × 2 =


Saturday 4th of December 2021

hi if someone can help me with a response. My baby is 6 months old and she born in Uk and she has birth certificate in Uk and i have pree-settled status that is like a visa for 5 years so uk resident. Can i travel to Albania with my baby with birth certificate, also baby has albania passport as well ? i want to know if i will have problems when i will be back in Uk?

Monday 20th of December 2021

@aldi, Please check official entry requirements. If you are resident of UK then the Uk gov site can help .

Alina adil

Sunday 27th of October 2019


Hi gave born in uk but want to go back to germany can my infant travel with birth certificate back to germany

Monday 18th of February 2019

Hi. Pwede po bang magamit ang immunization record as id of my baby? . Kasi wla pa pong birth certificate yung baby ko na 1 year and 6 months. Domestic flight lang po tnx.


Monday 18th of February 2019

Hi- I am so sorry- I only speak English. I recognise the word immunisation record - its always best to check with your doctor.

Melina bridget

Friday 28th of December 2018

I can understand your position I got a Chinese baby as well but am asking for the same question


Saturday 18th of August 2018

Hi, my name is Laura and I want to know what I need to travel from Uk to Italy for my baby. he is born in the UK but is a Romanian citizen and has a Roman passport. Do I need a document signed by my husband that he agrees to take the baby?


Sunday 19th of August 2018

Hello, I would always check with the embassy first. However, if you are travelling without your partner, then its always good to have a signed letter giving permission which is stamped by a solicitor. Also take a copy of the children's birth certificates too

5 Secrets to
Flying with a Baby


Tips to make travel with your child easy and stress-free