Top 5 Winter Sun Holiday Destinations For Families
The cold, dark nights are already drawing in and a well-timed email in my inbox reminded me of last-minute half term and Christmas flights. We have been looking for some last-minute winter sun inspiration. If you are not sure where to go either, here is our round-up of some top contenders (in no particular order).
1. South Africa – Whilst a safari is probably better suited for slightly older children, there is plenty more to entertain you in this vast, colourful country. Durban can be hot and humid but Cape Town has a warm Mediterranean climate. We’ve visited Cape Town as a family several times and love its warm weather, delicious food, fantastic beaches and friendly people, although dips in the sea can still be cold on the Atlantic coast!. Who can resist the penguins at Boulders beach, the Dussies at the top of Table Mountain or the many attractions at the V & A Waterfront?
2. Canary Islands – With year round sunshine and annual average temperature of 21 degrees, numerous beaches, plenty of hotels or family friendly villas to choose from ( we liked the look of these from TotstoTravel, which include a baby and toddler kit full of safety equipment, baby gear plus toys & DVD’s, with some options including kids clubs too), it is easy to see why this a great choice for some Winter sun. As a family we have visited Tenerife and found the variety of beaches, facilities and the ease of being in an European destination, a perfect mix for a relaxing but fun holiday for all. The North of the island is a little more remote and has more of a genuine Spanish feel about it, whereas the South is attractive to families due to its many well-established hotels, villas and attractions. The easy flight from the UK is bonus too.
3. U.A.E – I used to live here and Dubai is now widely recognised as a tourist destination, with sandy beaches, water parks, a new Green Planet rainforest park and even an indoor ski slope, but the other Emirates offer an insight into the ‘old’ Dubai and at a less frenetic pace. The quality of food and hotels are outstanding and often 30% cheaper or more than Dubai or Abu Dhabi prices. Try Al Ain or Ras Al Khaimah for mountains, beaches, water parks and authentic Arabic hospitality. Oman just across the border is also a wonderful family friendly place – with less of the hustle and bustle of Dubai.
4. Caribbean – With cyan blue seas, soft white sandy beaches and an average temperature of 28 degrees over the winter months (hurricane season is from June to November) the Caribbean has a lot to offer. There are many all-inclusive deals to be found but villas are an alternative option. Hotels usually come well equipped with good activities and kids clubs.
*Edited September 2017 Due to Hurricane Irma, several of these beautiful Caribbean islands have been damaged. Some areas more than others. More than ever, these communities will need tourism to help them rebuild and recover.
5. Florida – Big kids and little kids will love the sunshine state. Apart from the obvious attractions of Disney, there is plenty to explore including Busch Gardens, Legoland, Universal Studios, beautiful beaches and the sea is on average 25 degrees in December- perfect for a dip.
Are there any winter sun holiday destinations you would add to this top 5 guide?
Disclosure: This post is in collaboration with TotsToTravel.
Enjoyed this post and ready for some more inspiration?