Would your child like to stay in an icy cave, or Peter Rabbit’s burrow at a theme park? Or perhaps a Gruffalo, Lego or Coca Cola room? Or how about at a zoo or safari park or even a museum? Older children who love the story of the boy wizard, may like some Harry Potter wizarding style rooms? This guide takes you through all the hotels with a theme for families and other accommodation options with theming for all ages.
BEST KID THEMED HOTELS UK
Table of Contents - Click to jump to a section
Stay in a double decker bus, Bertram’s Hotel, which sleep 4 at Bideford. Hosting two bedrooms; a double, and a twin, along with a shower room. Inside you will also find an open-plan sitting, kitchen and dining area, and a day bed rested on the ground floor. Located in a desirable setting with an enclosed garden and off-road parking!
2. Alton Towers & CBeebies Land Themed Hotels
Stay at Alton Towers Resort and opt for themed rooms like Peter Rabbit’s burrow, Gangsta Granny’s lair, Arabian Nights, Coca Cola, Sleepover, or Princess themed and more. Older kids will love the Chocolate themed railway cabin room and explore the compartments and hideaways to find the hidden supply of chocolate.
Perfect themed accommodation for toddlers too.
Younger children may like a stopover at the CBeebies Land Hotel where you can choose from themed rooms including the Bugbies room, the Octonauts or enjoy a nap In the Night Garden? Perhaps you will discover Gem’s jewels in the Swashbuckle room, visit Postman Pat in Greendale or even meet the Tumbles in Something Special.
Every room in the Cbeebies Land Hotel has a separate area especially for toddlers, plus a special entertainment wall planned around interactive play. The main entrance is home to the Musical Meadow – a children’s entertainment area with live entertainment. Parents – there is a bar too! Bonus it’s only a short monorail ride from the Cbeebies Land attractions.
A further onsite accommodation option is the Splash Landings Hotel with a Caribbean theme. From the multi-coloured beach hut room to the Ice Age’s frozen caves (wrap up warm!). For a swashbuckling adventure, you can’t beat the pirate rooms. Can you crack the code to unlock hidden treasure?
Last but not least, glamp in a minimalist pod or stay in one of the cosy hobbit style Woodland Lodges. Look out for fairies, and enjoy the mini play areas dotted around this enchanting land. Each lodge sleeps up to five people with kids in a separate sleeping zone. Want more luxury, then opt for the private Treehouse hideaway, with many extra VIP luxury touches.
Facilities at Alton Towers Hotels
Please check with your accommodation choice, as facilities and amenities do vary.
- Interactive Play Wall (CBeebies Land Hotel only)
- Free WiFi
- Tea & coffee facilities
- Iron and ironing board
- Complimentary toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Exclusive use of all hotel facilities, including the entertainment
- Cots which can be pre-assembled on request (cot bedding is not supplied, please bring your own)
- Bottle warmers and mini-fridge
- Bathroom step, toddler toilet seat and baby baths
- Rooms sleep up to 5 or up to 7.
- Xbox console in some rooms
3. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Home to Nickelodeon Land is at Blackpool Pleasure Beach! Stay at either of the two onsite resort hotels; Big Blue Hotel, with options of family rooms with 5ft bunkbeds and a magnetic snakes and ladders game on the wall, or Boulevard Hotel with luxury family rooms options including 6ft bunk beds in their own section of the room. Each bunk bed has its own TV with individual lighting and USB charging points.
Each room features a 55” television with freeview, air conditioning and superfast Wi-Fi and all plug sockets include a USB charger. Rooms also include a safe which is large enough to store laptops and gadgets, a mini fridge which is stocked with complimentary sparkling and still Voss water for arrival, an ironing board, iron and hair dryer and air conditioning.
Ensuite bathrooms feature an over-bath shower, wash basin with illuminated mirror. Toiletries in each room are exclusively supplied by CO Bigelow of New York.
4. Chessington World Of Adventures Themed Hotels
A stay at Chessington Resort Hotel, the Azteca and Safari Resort Hotels means you can sleep in a Gruffalo themed room, a Room on the Broom room, or a zebra, monkey, penguin or even a tiger themed room, where even the toilet flush roars at you! Alternatively, glamp in one of their luxury jungle themed safari tents where zoo keepers come along twice a day for animal meets and greets. (Glamping is open for bookings for 2021)
Facilities at Azteca and Safari Hotels at Chessington World of Adventures Resort
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Splash pool and 15 m pool (some rooms give free access)
- Some rooms will have a gift and/or Xbox to play with
- AMAZU Treetop Adventure is just opposite the Resort Hotels where young adventurers can play amongst real-life monkeys and other amazing animals as you follow the adventure trail through the heights of AMAZU! Please be aware that our Amazu Treetop Adventure is open when the main theme park is open. Chessington Azteca and Safari Hotel guests will have exclusive evening access to Amazu in the peak season. (subject to change)
- Evening entertainment (currently unavailable due to Covid-19)
- Your family getaway includes an overnight stay, 2nd Day Free entry into the Park, 2 day access to the Zoo and SEA LIFE centre and a delicious breakfast. PLUS when you stay in Chessington Resort accommodation, you get exclusive extras!
Alternative Accommodation and Hotels close to Chessington World of Adventures
5. Crealy Theme Park Resort, Devon
Glamp in a medieval tent or stay in a safari lodge tent with separate dining and sleeping areas.
Facilities at Crealy Theme Park Acommodation
- Exclusive discounted Theme Park tickets for the duration of your stay
- Sleep up to six people
- Electric sockets
- Please note, bed linen (incl. duvets/pillows) & towels are not provided
- The Clubhouse also hosts a great selection of evening activities as well as serves food and drink
- Onsite shop
Drayton Manor is, of course, home to the popular Thomas Land. Stay in a Thomas the Tank Engine themed hotel room or a standard/spacious deluxe family room or at Drayton Manor’s very own Camping & Caravan site. Well kitted out for kids, with a children’s play area and plenty of space for a kick-about. There’s a generous washing up area, a large facilities block and even an on-site shop.
Facilities at Drayton Manor Hotel
- Full English Breakfast
- Blackout Curtains
- Iron With Board
- Mini Fridge
- Laptop Safe
- Complimentary parking
- Air Conditioning
- Complimentary wireless internet access
- LCD Flat Screen TV
Stay in a unique beach hut styled Lodge with a spacious living/dining area features a large corner sofa, a dining table with four chairs, a wall mounted flat screen TV and a Bluetooth MP3 sound system. A fully fitted high specification kitchen provides all you’ll need for preparing quick snacks or 3-course meals, complete with a separate breakfast bar and stools. Alternatively stay in one of Flamingo Lands Riverside Cottages or other properties.
8. Gulliver’s World, Warrington
Choose between contemporary themed hotel suites, cabins, lodges, dens and glamping tents. If a themed room is what you are after, then choose from a Pirates themed room where there’s a private bunkbed area for the kids and a king size cabin for the grown-ups, the Swizzels rooms with sweets such as rainbow drops, drumsticks and refreshers. Kids get to sleep in the sweet factory and parents can relax on a comfortable king size bed. This suite can sleep up to 4 people and the Super Sweetie Suite can accommodate up to 6 people.
Alternatively, try the Blast Arena family suite where kids can put their NERF skills to the test. This suite has a private bunk bed area with individual TV’s and of course Blast Arena targets. Lastly, Princess or Western themed rooms are available.
Facilities at Gulliver’s World Resort Hotel
- Free Wi-Fi
- King size bed
- Tea & coffee making facilities
- En-suite bath tub & shower
- Flat screen TV with 70+ channels
- 2 Bunk beds, each with their own TV & DVD player
- Interconnecting rooms available
9. Thorpe Park
At Thorpe Park there is the option to stay in their Shark Cabins overlooking the lake. With nautical theming and fishy features Quirky, compact and comfy – head back to your own personal cabin and crash for the night after a day packed full of screams and thrills! Our bite-sized rooms have everything you need for a perfect night’s rest to refuel including free Wi-Fi, tea and coffee making facilities, interactive TV, funky lighting and super comfy beds! Breakfast is available A delicious breakfast at Infinity Bar & Kitchen
Facilities at the Shark Cabins at Thorpe Park
- free Wi-Fi, tea
- coffee making facilities
- Breakfast on site
Lego is available to play with as soon as you enter this incredibly themed accommodation and naturally in your room too. From a pirate themed room to adventure themes to Lego Friends and Ninjago themed rooms, Lego fans will have a ball staying at the Legoland Resort. Alternatively, stay next door at the Legoland Castle hotel in the Knight’s Room, or choose a magical Wizard’s room! Enjoy the resorts LEGO® pirate-themed indoor water play area and swimming pool. (Check when open and you must pre-book a slot.)
Facilities at the Legoland Resort Hotel
- Free LEGO® Gift
- Dedicated LEGO TV Channel
- Children’s sleeping area with own TV
- En-suite bathroom with shower
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- High speed WIFI
- The hotel provides bottle/milk warming service, highchairs, fresh blended food on request
- Most rooms sleep up to 5
For accommodation and hotels near Peppa Pig World at Paultons Park see here.
This unique sleepover gives kids aged 7 to 11 the chance to explore the Museum after dark while taking part in fun and educational activities. Kids can explore the Museum by torchlight, get creative with a dinosaur t-shirt workshop and dig deeper with an educational science show presented by a Museum scientist.
If your child has ever wanted to explore the museum after dark, or if the idea of spending the night in one of the iconic galleries fills them with excitement, then they’ll love Astronights, a sleepover for children.
With workshops, shows and activities—rounded off with breakfast and an interactive science show to boost your morning energy—it will be a night they never forget.
Get ready to get surgical in the medicine-themed adventure. At Astronights you will discover the different ways we humans have attempted to fix bodies and fight disease, as well as getting up-close and personal with our medicine collection. For children aged 7-11 £60 pp
ZOO and SAFARI PARK SLEEPOVERS
13. Bear Lodge, Port Lympne Reserve, Nr. Ashford, Kent, CT21 4PD
Nestled within the 600 acre Port Lympne Reserve, these luxury safari tents come fully equipped with all the amenities including a private bathroom. Expect cosy separate sleeping areas with full size beds, a wood-burning stove and the equipment you will need.
Included is entrance to the reserve and Howletts Wild Animal Park plus the Dinosaur Forest exhibit and view of the bear paddock. Enjoy breakfast or dinner at the private Clubhouse whilst the kids burn off some energy after at the playground. From £350 to £475 per night (max stay is 4 nights) this is not a budget glamping experience but certainly a memorable one with an evening safari option too!
- Glamping tent furnished with bedding and en suite facilities.
- Tents sleep either up to 8 people in 1 double bed, 1 bunk bed, 1 double cabin bed and 1 double futon, or sleep up to 7 people in 2 double beds, 1 single bed and 1 double futon.
- Entrance to Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve and Howletts Wild Animal Park (from 9.30am on the day of arrival until close on the day of departure)
- Free entry to the Dinosaur Forest exhibit at Port Lympne Reserve
- Views of the bear paddock
- Complimentary parking
- Bedding and towels
- Access to evening activities such as evening walks and safaris, subject to availability and bookable on check in only
- Dinner and breakfast at the Clubhouse can be booked
- For more information see the Aspinal Foundation Bear Lodge website.
Stay in on site lodges or cottages and have an exclusive tour included!
15. LONDON ZOO – Lodge
The ZSL London Zoo Lodges is situated in extraordinary surroundings inside our Land of the Lions exhibit, where guests will bed down for the night within roaring distance of our Asiatic lions. Set in the heart of London Zoo and the greenery of surrounding Regent’s Park, enjoy a night’s escape from the bustle of London without even leaving the city! Expect to feel like you are very far away as you wake to the sounds of roaring lions, singing gibbons, honking flamingos, and our neighbouring native wildlife.
Inspired by the welcoming charm of hotels in the lions’ native Gujarati home in India, our beautifully decorated lodges have a traditional feel and are each themed to a different animal found living with the lions in the Gir forest.
Our nine lodges are cosy with either double or twin beds and an en-suite bathroom. Each lodge has a private veranda so that you can sip your bedtime tea whilst listening to the sounds of the Zoo at night.
16. WEST MIDLAND SAFARI PARK – Safari Lodge
Safari Lodges at West Midland Safari Park. Eight exclusive, luxury lodges, designed to give you an up-close and immersive overnight wildlife experience like no other. Safari Lodges short breaks include dinner and breakfast, spectacular views of the animals, admission to the Park during the day and Theme Park wristbands*.
17. WHIPSNADE ZOO Sleepover at the Zoo!
Lookout Lodge – Sleepover at the Zoo. Guests will experience ZSL Whipsnade Zoo after-dark and find out what our animals get up to at night.
- Three exclusive after-hours tours of the Zoo at sunset, after-dark and in the morning
- Overnight stay in a private lodge – double or twin beds
- A delicious two-course dinner
- Full English breakfast
- Free entry into ZSL Whipsnade Zoo and ZSL London Zoo for two day of your evening stay
- Free car entry
- Exclusive discounts on Keeper for a Day and Meet the Animals experiences
During the school Summer holidays you can experience a traditional wild camping escape in the heart of nature at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, where campers of all ages can enjoy an unforgettable fun family night (or two) under the stars.
Not only can you enjoy the thrill of a wild sleepover just a stone’s throw from incredible animals, you can also come along to an exclusive hour-long safari tour! When you book a camping pitch at Roar & Snore you will benefit from:
- A generous 15mx15m camping pitch
- Dedicated on-site washroom & shower facilities
- Exclusive special rates for multi-day park tickets
- Optional evening Safari Tours exclusive to Roar & Snore guests
- Stay just a short walk from the park entrance
- Private access to Masai Pizzeria: an evening food & drink takeaway location
- Enjoy the taste of home comforts at the nearby Breakfast Wagon
- Wake up to the morning roar of African Lions!
HARRY POTTER THEMED HOTELS AND ACCOMMODATION
J.K.Rowling has installed a love of Harry Potter which spans generations and will no doubt continue to do so. With the UK being the backdrop for many of the book and movie scenes, it is of no surprise that there are an array of wizarding themed or Harry Potter themed places to stay in the UK and Ireland, (and worldwide themed Harry Potter hotels and accommodation too!)
Whilst none are official places for ‘The Boy Who Lived’ and his friends (hurry up Universal Studios), the nod to the books is clear with wonderful magical wizarding theming. For Harry Potter fans, these Harry Potter themed hotels and accommodation are a must to add to your list!
Harry Potter Themed Hotels in England
This magical themed hotel has nailed the perfect Harry Potter holiday experience for fans of the books and films. This small, boutique family friendly hotel in London has five wizard themed rooms which embrace the wizarding experience.
Three are suitable for families, called the Wizarding Rooms. Pass through a portrait-lined passageway that is bathed in candlelight that casts dancing shadows across the walls.
The hidden room behind the bookcase leads to the Enchanted Chambers which sleeps two! Four poster are hung with plush crimson velvet curtains, stone walls, nooks and crannies with cauldrons set the atmosphere. See Booking.com rates here.
The Georgian House also has a range of Wizarding experiences throughout the year, including a fabulous magical wizarding afternoon tea and cocktail potion making.
20. Gryffindor Dorm Room Cottage– North Shire, Liverton, North Yorkshire
The Grffindor Dorm Room Cottage comes with 6 single sized four poster beds, a grand fire place, stained glass and flickering candles all surrounding a cosy living space with it’s own fully equipped kitchen for self catering. You can just imagine Harry, Ron & Hermione in this Harry Potter dorm room!
15. Grounds Keepers Cottage– North Shire, Liverton, North Yorkshire
The Ground Keepers Cottage sleeps 6 and is on the same property as the Gryffindor Dorm Room Cottage above. This charming themed cottage houses a plush emerald tiled bathroom with copper bath, a fully equipped kitchen, 2 bedrooms (one with a double bed and a bunk bed) and lots of artefacts and lanterns. Outside is the Weasley’s car!
21. De Vere House (Godric’s Hollow), Lavenham
A beautiful historical grade 1 listed place and used in the Harry Potter films, (Godric’s Hollow where Harry’s parents James and Lily lived) however children (under 18’s) are not allowed to stay. It is listed on Airbnb as separate rooms so you would need separate bookings if you wish to book the two four poster bedrooms both with en suite bathrooms. Guests have a private guest sitting room with log fire and courtyard garden. The village of Lavenham is steeped in medieval history which help with the magical atmosphere!
Whilst this wizarding world-themed apartment comes with 1 bedroom with one large double bed making it not ideal for families it is beautifully themed with an unconventional four poster bed, realistic open fire, real wood flooring and furnished with an eclectic collection of magical artefacts from the wizarding world. See availability on Booking.com
23. Harry’s House, Watford (near Warner Bros Studio)
This apartment features 2 themed bedrooms and wizarding touches throughout the house. The house comes with a flat-screen TV, an equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, a washing machine, and 1 bathroom with a shower. Watford is close to the Warner Bros Studio – Wizarding World Of Harry Potter Studios. For availability on Booking.com see here.
24. Harry Potter Airbnb – York
This one bedroomed airbnb room is filled with magical touches and theming. The room has its own entrance, one double bed, en-suite bathroom with shower and mini-kitchen. The property is located 15 minutes walking distance from the University and few minutes walk from the bus station that connects with the city centre, train station and shopping centres. There is a private entrance through the garden that gives you access to the ‘Mansion’. If you like long walks, in only 25 minutes you will be in the city centre.
Harry Potter Themed Hotels in Scotland
This fantastically themed Harry Potter apartment features the perfect wizarding master bedroom complete with floating candles, a wizard common room themed lounge and a Hogwarts Express second bedroom. There are plenty of themed artefacts which make you feel like you are in a real witches or wizards house. The apartment can sleep up to 6 with the double sofa bed, but only children aged 8+ are allowed to stay. See Booking.com availability.
This is the exact room where J.K. Rowling finished writing the Deathly Hallows. The luxury room sleeps 2 adults in a comfortable king-sized bed that can be twinned plus 2 extra beds for children are available upon request. The rooms offers views of Calton Hill and luxury decor evoking the Scottish countryside. The room is also home to the the marble bust of Hermes that J.K. Rowling signed after finishing the book but expect other little nods to the wizarding series. Availability on Booking.com.
A great centrally based one bedroom flat with sofa bed in the living area can sleep a family of four. The panelled effect walls, books and magical artefacts help give this accommodation the wizarding vibe: There’s even a secret cupboard to find. Availability on Booking.com
The Wizarding Residence is a one bedroomed Harry Potter inspired apartment. It’s central location (and allegedly inspiration for Diagon Alley) means that Edinburgh’s famous castle, Royal Mile, Grassmarket and much more are all a short walk away. The accommodation is filled with quirky items and decorations from J K Rowling’s Wizarding world. The downside it is a one bedroomed place with a double bed so not ideal for families. Check availability on booking.com.
29.The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
Sadly, each of the nine opulent Witchery Suites occupy just 2 guests in double beds and are not suitable for children but perhaps for an adult getaway? With rich furnishings, velvet walls, gothic and antique touches it is certainly a unique place to stay and reminiscent of what a Harry Potter suite may look like for Bellatrix Lestrange. Check availability on Booking.com
Wizarding Themed Accommodation in Ireland
30. Draiocht (Magic) House, County Roscommon, Ireland
This large 4 bedroomed house in County Roscommon has each Harry potter themed room themed with Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Slytherin or Ravenclaw Hogwarts house team colours. The back garden even has a treehouse for kids!
If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby
1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)
2. Join our Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.
3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions.
3. Share this post with your friends.
4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :
Thank you for your support as always.