After Sun Skin Care Tips With Solero
We are all diligent in protecting our skin from hours in the sun whether it’s splashing around in the pool, or just relaxing (kids permitting of course!) but after sun care is also important to keep skin in top condition. Have a bath or shower to wash away all the suncream, salt or chlorine off, and follow with an after sun product which nourishes, hydrates and soothes the skin. After spending time in the sun, it’s recommended to rehydrate and drink plenty of water too.
After sun comes in various forms including lotions, gels, sprays. Some benefit from added vitamins, insect repellent & aloe vera.
Check your local pharmacy for special offers. LloydsPharmacy has several after sun products ranging from after sun with pro vitamin B5 – which nourishes and helps prolong your tan, to after-sun products with insect repellent like the Solero cooling after sun lotion with insect repellent. Or try an aloe vera gel – a well-known natural aid to sunburn. The aloe vera gives 24 hour moisturisation and gently soothes and cools sun exposed skin. Once you have finished applying your after sun, wear cool loose fitting clothes. However, sometimes you may need some extra care if you have have sunburn. Whilst you can’t undo sun damage to the skin, you can help the healing process.
LloydsPharmacy pharmacist Kate Taylor offers the following advice regarding after sun care:
Rehydrate the skin
“The combination of sun, beach, sea water and chlorine will quickly dehydrate the skin and dehydrated skin is more prone to sun damage, including burning and structural damage. However, it’s important to understand that dehydrated skin may not always feel dry. Some will immediately feel they have dry skin after a day in the sun, others won’t, but this doesn’t mean that your skin isn’t dehydrated. Hydrate with a moisturising after sun to boost your protection against the sun and leave the skin soft and smooth.”
Avoid free radical damage
“Research has shown that 80% of the skin’s free radical damage is from exposure to the sun’s rays which can reduce oxidisation of the cells and can contribute to damaged skin cells and premature skin ageing. Aloe Vera contains vitamins A, C and E, all nutrients that are antioxidants which can help neutralise free radicals and prevent free radical damage. If you want to protect against the ageing effects of the sun, you should not only protect against the UV rays with sun lotion but take action to prevent further damage and skin cell changes after sun exposure with an Aloe Vera based after sun.”
Relief from immediate discomfort
“For those who are unfortunate enough to experience sun burn after a day soaking up the rays, the immediate effects may be sore, red, warm and tender skin which can cause great discomfort. Whilst it’s best to avoid this altogether through using sun protection and staying out of the sun at peak times, a soothing after sun can help alleviate the burning sensation, cool the skin and reduce any inflammation. Studies have even found that Aloe Vera can reduce the healing process of burns by up to nine days.”
“It has taken a long time for people to realise the importance of sun protection, with many people still yet to fully understand the damage that the sun can cause, the difference between the type of rays and what to look for when purchasing sun protection. However, hopefully people can now start to understand the importance of after-sun care too and the role this can play in protecting the skin.”
How to Deal With Sunburn
The NHS also recommends that you:
- Sponge sore skin with cool water, then apply soothing aftersun or calamine lotion.
- Painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen, will ease the pain by helping to reduce inflammation caused by sunburn.
- Seek medical help if you feel unwell or the skin swells badly or blisters. Stay out of the sun until all signs of redness have gone.
How To Treat Minor Sunburn Naturally
- Along with the above tips, aloe vera can help. You can pick direct from the aloe vera plant and smooth over, or purchase from a pharmacy.
- Give your skin time to recover – cover up and stay out of the sun.
- Avoid harsh cleansers in the area
- Keep your water intake up.
- Take care to avoid a repeat case of sunburn. Check out these sun care tips to keep skin protected.
- To look after your hair too. Sun, chlorine and the sea can all dry out hair and make ends brittle.
- Nourish your skin from the inside; keep hydrated and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Watermelon is a perfect snack!
- These post sun recovery tips are not meant to replace your pre-sun protection. You should always apply a good protective sunscreen at least 15 -20 minutes prior to UV exposure.
*Sponsored Post in collaboration with LloydsPharmacy
If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby
1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)
2. Join our Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.
3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions.
3. Share this post with your friends.
4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :
Thank you for your support as always.