If you are flying with twins or two little ones, a compact double stroller is probably on your essential list and if you like to explore frequently you may be wondering “What is the lightest weight double stroller for travel?”
Not only are lightweight strollers easier to lift in and out of cars, but they are also easier to manage when lifting on and off airport baggage belts, train carriages and buses making them a practical choice of travel stroller. Airplane wise, double strollers are unlikely to fit in the overhead stowage bins, but will be permitted to go in the hold.
AD/Affiliate link. This article may contain affiliate links. Please read more in our disclosure policy here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What are the Best Lightweight Double Strollers for Travel in 2023?
This guide will take you through the lightest travel strollers currently available and compare all the features they have so you can make an informed choice over which lightweight double stroller for travel is best for your family’s needs.
- If you are looking for the best single travel strollers, see here
- If you are specifically looking for cabin sized strollers see here.
Things to Consider When Buying a Double Travel Stroller
Here are some of the most important things to think about when looking for the best twin travel stroller.
1. Size and Weight
The main differences between a regular double stroller and a travel double stroller are the size and weight. The best double strollers for travel are considerably lighter and usually smaller than their heavier counterparts. Compact double strollers will make it a lot easier to pass through doorways and negotiate small spaces such as local transport.
A lightweight double stroller may have less features and comfort but that is the tradeoff for the other practical features. The best traveling double strollers for long days out are those that are lightweight and small enough to lug around and store, yet feature extras such as recline, independent sun canopies and decent storage underneath. Something a double umbrella stroller is unlikely to offer.
I found for me after the weight, the recline and sun canopy were the most important features for deciding on the best double stroller for traveling.
2. Your Travel Needs
What sort of travel will you be doing can impact the type of double pushchair you need. Can it manage cobblestones in Europe? Will it be used for short distances and to help transport your bags or will you need it for long day trips and naps during the day?
Do you travel by plane regularly -is it the best travel double stroller for flying and for the airport? Who is it for – will you need a double stroller for slightly older kids if heading out to Disney World or one that is suitable for a younger baby – if so does it need an additional insert?
Double strollers are also allowed as hold luggage (for free), in addition to your normal baggage allowance. But be aware that with American Airlines you will not be able to gate check it if it weighs over 20lbs.
3. Recline And Other Features
As mentioned above, several double lightweight strollers offer a recline function and a fairly decent sun canopy, but you may need to compromise on the storage basket. For instance, you could forego a large storage basket for a comfortable backpack.
Often you can buy accessories like cup holders, bag clips/ stroller purse clip hooks, or a double stroller organiser to make the stroller more convenient. (I found mine invaluable, especially if the storage basket was small). Decide which features are an absolute must for you, and ones you could compromise on.
4. Ease of Folding
If you are flying or travelling solo, then an easy folding function is a must when you are looking for the best compact double stroller. Some of the best foldable strollers for travel can quickly and easily be folded up using just one hand.
There are some all singing/all dancing travel strollers out there – but these do come with a higher price tag.
Check if companies offer price match – often if you cut the middle man out you can find a better deal too. Also look into second hand strollers, or perhaps borrow a friends?
6. Type of double stroller
Do you prefer a lightweight double tandem or side-by-side buggy or stroller? Is it for twins or a baby and toddler, do you need it to recline fully for a newborn?
IN A HURRY?
- Want to know what the narrowest double stroller is? Take a peek at the Joovy Caboose tandem double stroller with a width 53.98cm/21.25″, closely followed by the City Tour 2 Double at 26.1″
- Want to know what the lightest double stroller is? Try the Zoe XL2 double travel stroller, which weighs in at just over 19lbs.
What is the best double stroller for travel?
Below are 7 of the lightest and most reliable double strollers we have found. After the table is a more in-depth review of each double stroller.
|Image of stroller||Name of stroller||Weight of stroller||Weight limit||Width of stroller (unfolded)||Canopy Protection|
|Zoe XL2 Double Stroller||19lbs||45lbs per seat||29"||SPF 50. Canopies move independently|
|Mountain Buggy Nano Duo||20lbs/9kg||33lbs/15kg per seat||73cm/28.7"||SPF 50. Canopies move independently|
|Evenflo Aero Ultralight||23lbs||50lbs per seat||30"||SPF/UV 50. Canopies move independently|
|Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Double||23.2lbs/10.5kg||33lbs per seat||26.1"||UV 50+ Canopies move independently with extension panels and peek-a-boo windows|
|Joovy Caboose Ultralight||23.5kgs||45lbs per seat/20.4kg||21.25"/54cm||The large canopy provides ample coverage, and the new rear canopy extension covers the rear rider when seated|
|Baby Jogger City Mini Double||28lbs||50lbs per seat||30"76cm||UV 50+ Canopies move independently|
Best Lightweight Double Strollers For Travel
The Zoe XL2 Twin double travel stroller is popular in the USA, but it is sadly not available in the UK, which is a shame as it’s not only a practical double travel stroller, but a super lightweight twin stroller for travel too. It also meets the Disney stroller requirements.
Weighing in at just at 19lbs, meaning it can even be gate checked on American Airlines! It’s easy to fold and to open. Each seat reclines separately, but not completely flat, and capacity wise, each seat has been tested to 45 lbs.
The sun canopy is generous for a travel stroller plus it comes with lots of other accessories including a snack cup, child cup holders, parent cup holder, independent 4 panel expandable canopy, a reclinable foot rest and more.
- Open Dimensions: 40.25″ (height) x 29″ (width) x 33″ (depth)
- Closed Dimensions: 28″ (height) x 29″ (width) x 9″ (depth)
- Weight: 19 lbs
- 5-point harness
- Aluminum frame
- Magnetic peekaboo windows
- Canopy with UPF 50+ lining
- 165 degree recline
- Expandable (tandem add-on seat sold separately)
The Mountain Buggy Nano Duo original version weighs in at only 20lbs/9kg and has an extra large gear tray with 8kg / 17.6lb capacity plus a very convenient carry handle and shoulder strap, making it a very portable buggy.
The maximum weight this popular double pram can take is 15kg / 33lbs per seat which is at the lower end compared to others. It’s surprisingly narrow too, with the seat measurements being only – 66cm / 26″.
It’s car seat compatible with not only car seats from Mountain Buggy but also, Phil & Teds, Graco, Peg Perego, Cybex, Nuna, and Maxi Cosi (with adaptor purchase)
- Unfolded dimensions (H x W x D) – 100 x 73 x 84cm / 39.3 x 28.7 x 33″
- folded dimensions (H x W x D) – 51.5 x 73 x 28cm / 20 x 28.7 x 11″
- Weight: 20 lbs
- Maximum user weight: 33 lbs
- 5-point harness
- Extra-large gear tray (17.6 lbs capacity)
- Easy 2-step compact fold
- Includes carry handle and shoulder strap
- Suitable from newborn – 3 years (with cocoon)
- Or 6 months – 3 years (without cocoon)
At only 30” wide and weighing under 23 lbs, the Evenflo Aero² is one of the best narrow & small double strollers as it still ﬁts through standard doorways. The Evenflo Aero combines a lightweight frame with extended storage. Large canopies with ﬂip-out visors and UPF 50+ sun protection help shield your toddlers from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Do note the minimum age is two for this twin stroller.
The Evenﬂo® Aero² Ultra-Lightweight Double Stroller features an additional basket for when you are only traveling with one child, which can be attached to the front of either seat, and stores under the seat when not in use. Each seat can hold up to 50 lbs.
- Dimensions: 28.5 x 28.5 x 39.5 inches
- Weight: 24 lbs
- Maximum user weight: 50 lbs per seat
- 5-point harness
- 2 mesh in-seat pockets
- Extra seatback storage pocket
- Large canopies with UPF 50+ sun protection
- Reclining seats
This newest City Tour 2 Double is lightweight compact twin stroller at 10.5 kg/23.2lbs and features an ultra-compact one-hand fold. Its lightweight, compact slim design fits through any standard doorways making it easier to get around town with 2 kids. compact twin stroller
The City Tour 2 Double pushchair can be used from birth with additional carry cot attachments allowing a flat surface.
The fully featured stroller includes multiple recline positions, adjustable calf supports, UV 50+ canopies and two comfortable padded seats which can hold up to 33 lbs per seat. For more information and latest prices see here.
- Unfolded Width: 26.1″
- Folded up it measures 25cm/9.8″ x 66.5cm/26.2″ (W) x 63cm/24.8″(L)
- Weight: 11.4 lbs
- Each stroller seat holds kids up to 33 lb
- 5-point harness
- Ultra-compact one-step fold with auto-lock
- Near-Flat Seat Recline
- Durable tires with front-wheel suspension
- Foot-operated parking brake
The Joovy Kooper double travel stroller comes with a removable snack tray but can also fold with in place too! It has an easy one handed fold system
- The large wheels on this compact double stroller help when using it one-handed.
- For hot or sunny weather the large canopies offer a UPF 50+ protection.
- The stroller reclines to various positions with an adjustable footrest too.
- Storage wise there is a mesh cup holder and a zipper pocket. Below, is a large storage space, suitable for up to 15lbs.
- 5-point harness
- Dimensions: 31.69 x 30.31 x 41.34 inches
- Weight: 28 lbs
The Joovy Caboose is currently the lightest tandem stroller on the market, at 23.5lbs, and one of the most compact double strollers around. A tandem stroller has a similar width as a single stroller. However, this type of a double stroller is much longer.
- Front seat accommodates a child from 3 months to 45 lbs. and reclines to 3-positions
- Rear bench seat and standing platform holds child 2.5 years and up to 45 lbs., rear seat canopy extension protects the rear child when seated.
- Width: 53.98cm/21.25″
- 5-point harness
- Seat recline: 114 to 143 degrees
- Dimensions: 38 x 21.25 x 42 inches
- Weight: 23.5 lbs
Like its popular single stroller model, the seats recline to near flat position and the adjustable canopy hoods offer peek through flaps.
The adjustable calf supports and near-flat seat reclines allow you to find the most comfortable position for your children while the extra-large storage basket and UV50+ canopies with peek-a-boo windows provide sun protection and a way to keep an eye on your baby without disturbing them.
- Dimensions: 40 x 29.75 x 40 inches
- Weight: 31.8 lbs
- Maximum user weight: 50 lbs
- 5-point harness
- One-step fold with auto-lock
- Near-flat recline
- Canopies with peekaboo windows and UV 50+ protection
- Large under-seat storage basket (10lb capacity)
FAQ’s About Traveling With A Double Stroller
- Q: Can you gate check a double stroller?
- A: Yes, you can. You will usually be given a luggage tag at check in and then hand your stroller to staff at the gate or on the airbridge, just before you board your flight.
- Q: Do you need a bag to check a stroller?
- A: Whilst you don’t a bag to check a stroller, it is a good idea to use one to help keep all the bits securely together and help keep the stroller dry and clean. A padded stroller bag, is the best for added protection and yes you can buy a double stroller gate check bag. For more information on the best gate check stroller bags see here.
- Q: Can you take a double stroller through airport security?
- A: Most of the above travel double strollers are pretty narrow, and would fit through most airport security machines. If it won’t fit, then security personnel will need to conduct a personal check, using hand-held electromagnetic wands and sometimes swabs.
TRAVEL STROLLER ACCESSORIES
Above we mentioned how it is hard to find the perfect baby travel stroller which meets your every need when out and about. If you do find yourself deliberating between a couple of choices, remember, often accessories can be added, like stroller hooks (my favorite!) or a stroller organizer etc. More ideas and details are below.
Stroller hooks – Strollers hooks are brilliant for purchases, diaper/nappy bags and for adding to strollers that have no basket or other limited storage capacity.
Universal Stroller Organizer – Universal organizers for travel strollers are perfect for keeping everything in one place. Organizers can hold drinks, snacks, phone, tissues and allsorts!
Cup Holders for Travel Strollers – Universal stroller cup holders which fit most travel strollers can be easily bought for added convenience.
Stroller Travel Bags – Stroller travel bags are a great way to help protect your stroller when traveling, particularly if flying. Padded stroller bags offer better protection but are more expensive, but even a polyester gate check bag can help keep straps and buckles together and the stroller clean. Stuffing a few diapers/nappies in discreetly can help protect it too. Some cabin sized strollers already come with their own bag and carrying strap making it easier to stow in the overhead lockers on the plane.
If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, here are some ways you can say thanks and support Flying With A Baby
1. Click here to buy me a virtual coffee (thank you so much!)
2. Join our Family Travel Forum: TRAVEL WITH KIDS WORLDWIDE Facebook Group here which includes lots of ideas & tips for things to do, places to visit around the globe and more with input from members who live or visit these places regularly.
3. Click here to sign up for the latest family travel tips, guides and competitions.
3. Share this post with your friends.
4. Follow Flying With A Baby on the following platforms for exclusive content :
Thank you for your support as always.
Wednesday 9th of March 2022
I've searched high and low looking for a review just like this but includes comparison of the FOLDED sizes. It would be amazing if it could also include a photo of each stroller on this listed folded, next to each other, for comparison. Can you make that happen??? I'm shocked that this comparison doesn't exist. I want to know which one will fit best in my tiny rental car for trips!!
Thursday 10th of March 2022
Hello, I will add that to my list! Great idea!